Thursday, July 18, 2013

Super Model Stomach!

I recently went on a group run-- my first since having #3. It was only a 5k, so I arrived early to get a couple of miles in prior, and planned to do another couple after. What I discovered, though, was that the group run went over campus, up some stairs that climbed a very steep hill, and then down one of campus' super steep hills, only to go down a block and come back up a super steep hill. Then back through campus, and up another long hill.

Hills.

I should get used to them, since my goal is to PR at a half marathon in October that is very hilly. But I've decided to work on my mileage now until my half next month (oy, less than four weeks from now), and then do some speed work/hills afterward. It's a happy little delusional reality I've created where I'll be totally fine in October, and I don't have to worry about doing the hard, hurty stuff yet.

However, I discovered something interesting when doing this run. I'm the personality type where I don't stop to walk-- EVER-- my pride won't let me. Do you know what trumps pride? A complete lack of core.

And apparently, after three kids, the abdominal muscles are not as strong as they used to be without doing some serious core work, which I have not.

I completely lacked the middle strength to hold myself upright when attempting to run up the hills. Out of genuine fear of crumpling into a heap on the ground, I had to walk.

So I posed the question-- eight weeks post baby, what kind of core work can I be doing to get in hill shape, and how often? The responses were mostly really informative, and I headed over to the library to pick up some workout dvds for cross training. However, I was so pleased with myself when some of the responses did not address strength at all-- instead, they addressed the appearance of the core. They spoke of how women are entirely too hard on themselves after they have a baby, and to give it time and allowance to heal and recover before you expect to look a certain way.

I was pleased because my motivation was not about how my core looks (though a flat tummy would not be turned away). My true motivation in posing the question was getting my core to a place where I could perform better-- it wasn't about appearing a certain way, but about being able to do a certain thing. I want function. I want strength. I want to be faster, stronger, less of a falling hazard.

I love running. I love where it's brought me. This is a world away from where I was seven years ago.

Hooray.

No comments:

Post a Comment