Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wherein I discover how the Running Gods laugh at those doing speedwork.

I don't like speed work.

Perhaps that's an obvious statement. Something that can be generalized to the entire population of the universe. Wait... you mean, you don't like running when it requires you to move faster than a pace that is comfortable? You don't like feeling like you're going to puke for four minutes straight? What's up with that?

I do feel that speed work does one thing that I enjoy-- I come to really, REALLY like the quarter mile recovery spurts.

This particular training day was a poorly planned one. A friend of ours from Utah that we hadn't seen in four years became a pilot, and he had a layover in Kansas City for a day. We went out, ate too much not-good-for-you-food (mmm, Kansas City barbeque), stayed out way too late, and then drove the hour back to our little college town with our two unconscious children. Getting up early to beat the heat of the day was not on our agenda, so we headed out to do our intervals in the blazing sun on the flattest road with absolutely no shade.

We were setting ourselves up for success, if you didn't notice.

Then something glorious happened. In the midst of near vomit-ude, something shiny caught the glaring sunlight. I glanced down and saw it...a QUARTER.

Jackpot!

I love finding money when I run. It's usually just a penny, but regardless-- I feel it totally makes me a professional runner for that training run.

And then, the running gods had a good laugh.

The quarter that was lifting my spirits and making the speed workout feel totally worth it (Yes, I'm cheap/easily pleased)? STUCK IN THE MELTED ASPHALT FROM THE FLIPPIN' BLAZING SUN.

Cue the sound of a Running Mommy's heart breaking.

Ah, well. At least it wasn't a baby opossum.

No comments:

Post a Comment