Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Toddler Running Terminology

One of the reasons I run is so my kids can see me being active, and hopefully they'll develop a healthy attitude about fitness and exercise. With their daddy in Exercise Science and hopefully going to graduate school to study childhood obesity, it's important to us to instill a strong desire to be physically healthy.

It warms my heart to no end that my son has developed a vocabulary that is a little peculiar compared to the average two-year-old.

"Mommy running?"

"Mommy running shoes."

"Mommy running glasses!"

"Run fast, Mama!"

"Mommy, watch this-- Running!"

"Running stroller!"

"Mommy running? Me running too!"

"Mommy protein?" (Pointing at my protein shake)

He asks to go running. He asks for some protein shake. Just the other day, he went over to the corner of our living room with our free weights and started doing squat repeats, and said, "Exercise!"

I feel like we're doing well in our quest.

Now if we could just be that successful in potty training.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! It makes me proud to see my daughter doing the same thing. It's great knowing that you are setting your kids up for success later in life in a healthy way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Lillie was younger we would pull out the exercise Dvds quite often. I think I even videotaped her doing one even with weights. And now, it totally warms my heart when SHE reminds me that she needs a "healthy dinner " or when she is constantly asking to ride bikes or go to the park. I think it is so important to teach and model that exercise can be more about fun than a chore or work.

    ReplyDelete